Sunday, August 14, 2016

Jerry the Beekeeper to the Rescue

Last week during High Priest's group a friend of mine, Roy, gave the lesson. He told of growing up in Hawaii. While attending elementary school a new boy moving from the states was introduced. Roy made fun of the new intruder during recess and he ended up challenging the new boy to a fight after school. The word got around and all the kids gathered at the prescribed location making a circle around the boys while chanting the usual, "Fight, fight, fight!"

Roy and the new boy put up their fists and started towards each other. As they were within striking distance and the shout from the onlookers crescendoed, the new boy started to cry. Roy said he believes the Holy Ghost influenced him then and he hugged the new boy and started to cry himself. The crowd dispersed and the two walked home together with their arms around each other's shoulders. They were friends from then until now. Roy passed away this week. He was a great man who attended every service project the ward had despite having heart arrhythmia. He is in a better place but we will miss him.


We spoke to Krystal and Eric.  They are still waiting to hear about the job Eric applied for that involves a background check. Felicia told them about a washer and dryer Felicia's friend in New Braunfells is selling and they are going to get it.

Saturday I went for a quick ride in the morning.
It was green and muddy.
I took a wrong turn and was lost for a bit, but found my way back to the main track. I remembered there was an extended section of the road that was in a sandy wash. Sure enough, I came to it. I found that riding in the truck tire track was pretty manageable and I increased speed shifting into 3rd. I was going pretty good and then got a little off track and caught the wall of the tire groove. It yanked the wheel to the left leaving the tire track. I tried to steer back to the track but started fish-tailing and went down.
Help! I've fallen and I can't get up!
The bike fell in such a way that the wheels were higher than the top of the bike. This was my 3rd time with this bike down on the trail and I had no problem picking it up the other times but this was different. I couldn't get leverage.

I got a tree limb and some rocks and used one as a fulcrum and the other I scooted under the luggage rack as I lifted with the limb to try to get the top of the bike higher than the wheels. I started digging sand out from under the wheels to accomplish the same thing.

I checked my cell coverage and there was enough signal to text so I messaged my wife and turned on the track function of my SPOT. My wife texted back 'OK well good luck'.

The sun was getting hotter but with the SPOT device, I knew I had an out so I wouldn't die. I was wondering if anyone had a reason to come back in here. I remembered that I had seen a beekeeper in here on some previous rides.

Just as I was ready to try lifting again to see if my efforts had paid off, I heard a truck coming. It was the beekeeper truck.

As the beekeeper truck pulled up I thought, " I am saved". Then I walked to the window and saw the guy was 80 yrs old. Well he agreed to help me lift it. Surprise, Surprise! His help was just enough. "Jerry, you saved me!"
Jerry the Beekeeper

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home