Sunday, August 7, 2016

Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing—absolute nothing—half so much worth doing as simply messing about on motorbikes

My mom celebrated her 88th birthday on Saturday even though her actual birthday is on Tuesday (Aug 9).


Haley was able to attend for our part of the family.

This was also the weekend of my 40th High School reunion. I couldn't make it, but those who did look extremely old.

Gordon's family enjoyed the beach house that Debbie arranged.


At home, Felicia had her 56th on Wednesday and got a Bosch Mixer so big that it can't be put away.

On the weekend there was work and some play. The oleanders needed lots of trimming.
Here are the bags that wouldn't fit in the trash can.
I also needed to replace the steering wheel cover on the truck. The old one was deteriorating. I laced a leather cover on. If you ever do this, plan at least 1.5 hrs and have gloves to pull the cord tight with. Also let the neighbors know that a horn will honk multiple times over the next 1.5 hrs and it can be ignored.
The quote in the title is what Mr. Toad would have said if he had been introduced to motorbikes before boats and cars. I had a little time to take a ride on my motorbike to Patagonia. The altitude there is 4500 ft and about 12 deg cooler than Tucson. With the monsoons, it was very green. I stopped by Kentucky Camp on the way. It is an old gold mining camp in the Santa Rita Mtns. I think I took Gordon there once. It is being preserved.

There is a cabin that the National Forrest Service rents out and there is a visitor center. I had to park the bike and walk a quarter mile to the camp. No motorized vehicles allowed.

Here is a view from the parking lot as I began walking on the trail.
...looking back at the parking lot.

Here are deer tracks...
...and skunk tracks.
All the buildings are adobe but not all are restored.
Here is the rental cabin. The sign said it was occupied but they must have been sleeping in.

What follows are pictures from the visitor center.


Does anyone know what this is? It was in the bathroom and was labeled Ironrite.
Outhouse
The San Rafael Valley outside of Patagonia is beautiful this time of year.
I surprised this two-point young buck when I crested the hill.


There is fruit on this Yucca plant that I haven't seen before.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home