Sunday, February 21, 2021

Go Forward With Faith

 One of the more challenging obsticles to successfully ride an adventure motorcycle through is deep sand. It took me several years to learn the right technique. I noticed that no matter how deep the sand was, if I only had a short distance of sand to ride through, say 30 ft or less, I seldom had a problem, but if the sand  stretched on for a long way, I would struggle. 


I started asking myself, if I can ride through a 30 ft stretch of sand without problem, why do I struggle if the sand continues 30 ft more. If I could do 30 ft, why not the next 30 ft, and 30 ft more, and on and on. I realized that when there is a short stretch of sand, like crossing a wash, my focus is not on the sand and all the ripples and ruts from previous vehicles, my focus is on the the bank at the other side. By keeping my eyes on the goal, the exit point on the other side, any unevenness or minor disruptions in wheel travel could be compensated for and I would emerge safe on the other side. 

On the other hand, when there wasn't a bank or exit goal to focus on, I would focus on the rut or softness in the sand right in front of my wheel and I would panic and react to those obstacles and find myself weaving and sliding and even falling over. I decided to try an experiment. When in sand I would keep my eyes focused a minimum of 30 ft in front of me, always looking at where I wanted to get to not directly at what was in my immediate way of getting there. The result was amazing. I could suddenly ride through long stretches of undulating sandy wash without difficulty.

I am reminded of the story of the Savior walking on water.


Matthew 14

24 But the ship was now in the midst of the sea, tossed with waves: for the wind was contrary.

25 And in the fourth watch of the night Jesus went unto them, walking on the sea.

26 And when the disciples saw him walking on the sea, they were troubled, saying, It is a spirit; and they cried out for fear.

27 But straightway Jesus spake unto them, saying, Be of good cheer; it is I; be not afraid.

28 And Peter answered him and said, Lord, if it be thou, bid me come unto thee on the water.

29 And he said, Come. And when Peter was come down out of the ship, he walked on the water, to go to Jesus.


30 But when he saw the wind boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink, he cried, saying, Lord, save me.


30 But when he saw the wind boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink, he cried, saying, Lord, save me.

31 And immediately Jesus stretched forth his hand, and caught him, and said unto him, O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt?


32 And when they were come into the ship, the wind ceased.


President Howard W. Hunter Said: “It is my firm belief that if as individual people, as families, communities, and nations, we could, like Peter, fix our eyes on Jesus, we too might walk triumphantly over ‘the swelling waves of disbelief’ and remain ‘unterrified amid the rising winds of doubt.’ But if we turn away our eyes from him in whom we must believe, as it is so easy to do and the world is so much tempted to do, if we look to the power and fury of those terrible and destructive elements around us rather than to him who can help and save us, then we shall inevitably sink in a sea of conflict and sorrow and despair” (“The Beacon in the Harbor of Peace,” Ensign, Nov. 1992, 19).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home