Sunday, March 12, 2017

How We Met

Today in Priesthood Meeting we all were asked to share how we met our wives. I was the son of an educator in Brigham City, UT. Felicia was a Doctor's daughter from San Antonio, TX. In 1980 we were assigned to the same BYU home evening group.

Our BYU Home Evening Group
Initially, Felicia seemed reserved and quiet in the group and it didn't really enter my mind to date her. On Saturday, Nov 1, 1980, one of Felicia's roommates knocked on the door and said Felicia had tickets to the football game and wanted someone to go with her. Jim McMahon was QB and BYU was 6-1 at that point in the season. The game was against UTEP. The girl I thought was quiet was whooping, yelling, cheering, and singing the whole game. BYU won 83-7. That's how I learned the words to 'Rise and Shout'. BYU put in the 2nd string for the second half and stopped throwing but UTEP had just given up. BYU scored every time we got the ball. We talked while walking back to the apartment and I thought I wouldn't mind dating her some more.

The next day was Stake Conference. I also had an interview with our Bishop, Joseph Fielding McConkie, that Sunday to renew my temple recommend. After conference and the interview I felt really guilty for not having a special girl to date. The Gold and Green ball was coming up and I was thinking I would go without a date and dance with Felicia a few times and also some other girls to kind-of see how I liked her relative to others. An additional awkward thing was another girl in the ward had asked me already to go to preference. Well my roommate, Craig, wanted someone to double with him at the G&G Ball. He saw Felicia walking to class and shouted out our bathroom window that I had something to ask her. What could I do at that point?

Felicia and her Dodge Omni

We went to the ball, had a good time, and the girl, Sarah, who asked me to preference was there looking kind of depressed. I never wanted to be more than friends with Sarah but I also felt bad about making her sad. I went to preference with Sarah the next week and then I asked Felicia to go with me to the Doobie Brothers concert the week after that. We dated steadily from then on. Sarah didn't return to school after the Christmas break. Felicia and I were essentially engaged when school was out in the Spring. I did an internship with Thiokol near Brigham City the summer of 1981 and we were married June 11, 1982. The bishop didn't like that we were engaged so long, but Felicia's mom did not want us to get married at Christmas time. The rest is history. It all worked out. We have a great family together with terrific children. I love Felicia very much. This summer will be our 35th wedding anniversary.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home