Sunday, October 4, 2015

Ride, Ride Like the Wind

I had an off-Friday this week and decided to take a trip to explore more of the AZ Backcountry Discovery Route. The route took me South on Hwy 83 to Sonoita and then to the border. This area is full of grassland and ranches and there is not a cactus to be seen. The altitude is 4000 feet and above.


The Steak Out in Sonoita 
At this point I had to use the restroom in the Sonoita general store but they only allow paying customers so I bought a blueberry poptart for $1.99.
The hotel in Sonoita

Who knew that Arizona had 'Wine Country'? I can't appreciate the wine, but I can appreciate the beauty of the vineyards.

Lightning Ridge Winery 
The route leaves 83 to take Canelo Pass Rd. I had such a long way to go (such a long way to go) to make it to the border of Mexico.
Canelo Pass Rd
From the top of the pass I could see the distant mountains that were in Mexico.
View South from Canelo Pass
I was actually riding the AZBDR backwards because it starts at the Mexican border and goes North. I followed the route down from the pass into the beautiful San Rafael Valley. This valley is hundreds of square miles of grassland and, surprisingly, I didn't see a single cow.
San Rafael Valley

Another view of the San Rafael Valley

I crossed the Santa Cruz River here.
As I approached the border, I came upon the pond with a Great blue heron and other waterfowl in it. Of course they all flew away as I got out my camera. The little two-track trail over the ridge at the left of the picture below is the trail to the border.
Pond near the Mexican Border

The border fence is visible at the top of the ridge.
The fence is not particularly imposing here. I assume it is because it is relatively easy to see someone moving the the grassy valley.
Arizona-Mexico Border looking East

Here I am positioned to defend the US from Terrorists and Drug Gangs by throwing them a Poptart

Arizona-Mexico Border looking West
I was surprised not to encounter the Border Patrol at the border but I did see a RADAR balloon deployed.

I rode along the fence a bit and found this rather porous spot - attested by an abundance of footprints.
Somewhere along here I picked up a piece of cut barbed wire in my rear tire.
 I began the 115 mile ride back from the border stopping at this overlook of Parker Canyon Lake.
Parker Canyon Lake
When I dismounted at home I saw something in my tire. The tire had kept pressure all the way home so I thought it must not have gone in far.
 It was a piece of barbed wire. When I removed it, the tire quickly deflated with a loud HISS-S-S-S.

My motor used 1/2 quart of oil on the 230 mile ride. My water pump started seeping. I now had a flat tire as well. I decided this would need to be my last adventure on the KLR. It doesn't make sense to spend $1500 repairing this motorcycle that would only be worth that much after the repair. I will start dismantling it and selling parts on ebay.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home