Sunday, June 21, 2015

Father's Day and Buffalo Bill

I watched over the years as Father's Day at church has fallen victim to the gender equality mantra and the latest PC paradigm of 'offend no one'. When I was young, the ritual handing out of gifts after sacrament meeting was reserved for mothers on Mother's Day, only. Then it was an individual pansy. (When my Dad was bishop, he challenged himself by calling out the name of each woman receiving the flower).
Mother's Day Pansies
Now the wards that I've been in have started offering Father's Day gifts. My haul from today is shown below.
Father's Day Loot
Not only are these offered to fathers, but, lest anyone be offended, the gifts are offered to all males 18 years and older. Thus, Father's Day is becoming the Day for Males Old Enough to Vote. I am not sure if this is good or bad but I think the latter. We shouldn't need to be afraid of differentiating between fathers and others.

I am a little sad on this day to no longer have a Father on earth and that all of my children are scattered; but I am happy to have had a wonderful father in my life and to now have 3 terrific children, a perfect daughter-in-law, and a cute grandson.
Dad, Mom, Bryan, and Van


Children in Houston

Johnny
I took a trip to Buffalo Bill's mining camp on Saturday. Felicia didn't want to go.
Campo Bonito was established in the early 1900's by Buffalo Bill Cody and his partner to mine for gold and other metals. The biggest product ended up being tungsten for Thomas Edison's light bulbs. A prospector named Flint Carter sill mines Cody Stone (gold and silver in quartz) in the area today for jewelry.

Cody Stone bracelet
Buffalo Bill dressed as Santa Claus one winter and came to deliver gifts to the children of the miners working for him.
Buffalo Claus at Campo Bonito
Sign for Cody Loop in Oracle, AZ


Tub for separating ore still at Campo Bonito site.
Foundation and fireplace for Campo Bonito Mess Hall
Rope Swing at Campo Bonito site. Who knew Buffalo Bill liked to swing. I had to try it out.

Ridge Road heading to mining areas above Campo Bonito. There was a crazy-steep hill getting to this point.

1 Comments:

At June 25, 2015 at 8:53 AM , Blogger Van said...

Our ward used to have a chocolate fountain for all females 12 and up on Mothers Day, and for Fathers Day they had ice cream for all males 12 and up.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home